Kinchega woolshed, a relic of the past

Posted by barbara on February 12, 2012


In its heyday, the far western NSW Kinchega woolshed was almost twice its current length, left to right.

Serviced by the Darling River transport route, and dating from 1875, the historic woolshed is a reminder of the early pastoral history that characterised the arid reaches of far western New South Wales.


Additional shearers stands were originally attached to the right hand side of the current day shed of 26 stands.


The way Australia was when it rode on the sheep's back.


The Kinchega woolshed witnessed the changeover from shearers blades to mechanical handpieces, the latter powered by a steam traction engine (pictured above) that was located outside the shed.


The old machinery, long since silenced, reminds us of the changeover from manpower to steampower.


Within walking distance of the shed, a cluster of corrugated iron clad buildings accommodated the shearers, cookhouse and stores. These days they house tourists and students.


'Kinchega Woolshed witnessed the evolution in shearing technology that was seen throughout the wool industry during the nineteenth-twentieth centuries'. Australian Heritage Commission)(Sheedy 1983)



Not far from the woolshed, the remains of the Kinchega homestead on the Darling River moulder in the unrelenting arid conditions.


On the homestead's doorstep, the shaded anabranch of the Darling River must surely have helped make arid living bearable.

Submit a Comment


Leave a Reply

(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Please type the letters and numbers shown in the image.Captcha Code