Watchtower versus lighthouse

Posted by barbara on October 22, 2011

Blog_Boyd_Tower_IMG_3724.jpg

What was Benjamin Boyd thinking when he built this massive tower out of the most endurable sandstone he could lay his hands on at the time in the early 1840s?

This imposing structure was designed and constructed to serve as an aid to shipping at Twofold Bay on the remote south coast of the colony of NSW, namely a lighthouse. But for the terms of its working life his impressive tower served as a whale spotting tower for Boyd and later for the Davidson family who bought out his Boyd Town whaling infrastructure when he went insolvent.

Blog_Boyd_Tower_window_IMG_3734.jpg

The view from the interior of Benjamin Boyd's landmark tower, clearly visible from Eden on the northern arm of Twofold Bay.

Blog_Seahorse_Inn_IMG_3878.jpg

Twofold Bay's Seahorse Inn, incorporating the original one storey 1843 hostelery of the same name constructed by entrepreneur Ben Boyd 

One of the earliest colonial entrepreneurs, with significant financial backing, Benjamin Boyd was clearly bent on getting rich quick downunder. His point of difference was to herd his Monaro raised cattle to his Boyd Town settlement at Twofold Bay and ship them to Sydney via coastal vessels. One of his lucrative sidelines was whaling.

A get rich quick scheme his was clearly not, with Boyd succumbing to financial ruin in the late 1840s, courtesy of a financial depression that decimated his dreams.

 

 

Submit a Comment

Comments:

Leave a Reply



(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Please type the letters and numbers shown in the image.Captcha Code